Premier League leaders Liverpool are weighing up a move for FC Rostov striker Sardar Azmoun once the transfer window re-opens in January, according to The Guardian.
Manager Jurgen Klopp recently spoke of the need to bolster his attacking options, with Sadio Mane expected to participate in the African Nations’ Cup in a couple of months’ time, whilst Danny Ings is out for the rest of season with a knee injury.
Liverpool are tracking FC Rostov forward Sardar Azmoun. At this stage he’s being watched as they consider their options ahead of January.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarrett) November 8, 2016
The Iran international, Azmoun, has impressed in a number of appearances for club and country and has been instrumental in his side’s Champions League campaign, making eight appearances and scoring three goals so far, including one away to Atletico Madrid.
He has caught the eye of a number of European clubs, leaving Liverpool facing stiff competition for his signature, with arch-rivals Everton rumoured to be interested, as well as Stoke City.
The 21-year-old originally joined Rostov on loan in February 2015, who triggered a buy-out clause to make the move permanent.
Parent club Rubin Kazan, however, claimed that the clause did not exist and so took the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, who ruled in favour of Rostov.
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) November 9, 2016
In an interview given last year, Azmoun said that he would like to play in England at some point in the future, giving Liverpool hope that he would be open to joining them.
“My main goal is to play in Premier League”, he said,
“And I’ve taken a lot of good advice to stay in Russia to gain more experience.”
Despite having Daniel Sturridge, Roberto Firmino and Divock Origi available for selection, Klopp knows that he will need more strength in depth if his side is to challenge for the league title.