Former Aston Villa striker Rudy Gestede has joined Australian side Melbourne Victory on a short-term deal, as reported by Birmingham Live.
The Benin international played for Villa between 2015-2017, scoring nine league goals from 50 appearances. He left the club in January 2017, joining Middlesbrough.
He struggled for form whilst with Boro as he netted just five goals from 48 appearances.
Prior to the move to Australia, he had been a free agent following his release from Middlesbrough at the end of last season.
Gestede has the qualities which are required to succeed in Australia. At 32-years-old, he is still good enough to score goals on a regular basis.
The slower tempo of the A-League also means that he will be more than capable of scoring more goals in Australia than he did whilst in England.
Because of his vast experience, he will also be a good source of knowledge to younger players.
“The club has been very successful in the past, they have great facilities and I can’t wait to meet up with my new teammates and start putting in the hard work,” he said about his move to the club.
“I’m really looking forward to moving to Melbourne, playing in front of the members and fans and helping the club work its way back up the table.”
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet