A selection of Chelsea fans on Twitter heaped praise on Edouard Mendy’s performance during the 1-0 Premier League debut to Manchester City.
The Blues were second best against the Cityzens at Stamford Bridge earlier today, failing to register a single shot on target over 90 minutes.
While there was no attacking presence, the defensive display was up to the mark. Only a deflected goal from Gabriel Jesus made the difference.
Thiago Silva showed a terrific defensive resolve coming early off the bench. He made a crucial goal-line clearance.
Mendy also had another top-notch display between the sticks. He twice denied Jack Grealish in the match, including a one-on-one situation.
Some fans were delighted with his showing and felt he saved the club from potential embarrassment.
Mendy has been the Blues’ undisputed shot-stopper when fit, and there were no surprises that he was reinstated in the line-up after overcoming a hip concern.
The €25 million-rated star had a comfortable opening half, but he was kept busy after the break. His saves ensured that the margin of defeat was kept respectable.
Thomas Tuchel chose a defensive approach to the game with a view to counter-attacking, but the tactic backfired against City for once due to the latter’s pressing.
The Cityzens ended a three-match losing run against the Blues. They have now climbed to second on the table on goal difference to Chelsea, only one point behind Liverpool.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet