Sky Sports pundit Charlie Nicholas has given his predictions for Tottenham Hotspur’s clash with Red Bull Leipzig in their Champions League round of 16 fixture on Wednesday night.
The London club will play host to Julian Nagelsmann’s side after they outsmarted Aston Villa 3-2 at the weekend in the Premier League.
Writing on Sky Sports, Nicholas has tipped Jose Mourinho’s men to prevail 3-2 against the Bundesliga side in the first leg at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
However, he conceded that the visitors have great quality in their ranks with Christopher Nkunku and Timo Werner especially dangerous propositions for Tottenham to handle.
Nicholas further claimed that the German side played excellently against domestic title rivals Bayern Munich and should have beaten them at the Allianz Arena.
Tottenham are down to their bare bones in attack, with injuries to Harry Kane and Son Heung0min meaning the hosts will need to be ambitious in their attempts to score.
Since Mourinho took over in North London, Spurs have been on an upward trajectory and are now only one point adrift of Chelsea in the top-four race.
However, Tottenham have been far from convincing at the back, with the Lilywhites struggling to keep clean sheets.
With both Spurs and Leipzig freescoring in recent times, this could well be an exciting affair and Nicholas’ prediction of goals galore could well be on the money.
- From Lewandowski to Eriksen – 10 Best Transfers In July 2022
- Best EPL pre-season matches to watch this weekend
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups