German giants Bayern Munich will face off against England’s Chelsea in a Champions League last 16 first leg encounter at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night.
The clash marks the first time that the teams are playing each other since the 2012 final, which the Blues managed to win despite being the pre-match underdogs.
Bayern will have to make do without the services of three key players, according to the official Bundesliga website.
Defender Niklas Sule is a long-term injury absentee, whilst Ivan Perisic has been ruled out of the first-leg against Chelsea after suffering an ankle injury in training earlier this month.
Javi Martinez has returned to training with the Bavarian giants, but he is unlikely to be risked.
Bayern will have the option to call upon the French duo Lucas Hernandez and Kingsley Coman.
The two players recently returned from long-term injuries and appeared for their team during their 0-0 draw with RB Leipzig.
Away legs against established teams in the Champions League are traditionally about damage control and hence Chelsea will go into the first-leg as favourites.
However, Bayern will be favourites to win the tie overall as they have a more experienced side.
It will also not be surprising if Bayern manage to frustrate Frank Lampard’s side in front of their own home fans.
Even though Chelsea enter the game on the back of a victory against Tottenham, they have lacked consistency since the start of the year and have won just one out of their last five Premier League games.
- Aston Villa in Pole Position to Sign Wantaway Everton Star Lucas Digne
- Chelsea Boss Thomas Tuchel Delivers Verdict on Christian Pulisic’s Display Against Liverpool
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer