Fabian Balbuena’s agent Renato Bittar has revealed that the defender could have left West Ham in the January transfer window, though he opted against it.
“Fabian (Balbuena) had isolated himself due to contact with a Covid-19 case, and is returning to the team,” Bittar said to Futgol970y, via Sport Witness.
“We are seeing some things for him, nothing from Lazio.
“We had a very juicy proposal from the Arab League, and Fabian told me; let’s wait, let’s stay in Europe.”
Balbuena moved to the London Stadium from Corinthians in the summer of 2018. Whilst he has had his fair share of first-team action, he has not managed to establish himself as a first-team regular.
At 29-years-old, Balbuena is unlikely to get better, and David Moyes has opted for the centre back pairing of Craig Dawson and Angelo Ogbonna this term.
Regardless, Moyes would have been hesitant to allow the South American to leave last month. Even though he has not had the desired impact, he did get his fair share of action.
Though Balbuena is not Moyes’ first-choice option, he does see him as a suitable cover option.
With that being said, it seems likely that Balbuena will end up leaving the London Stadium in the summer.
- Reading set for points deduction
- Marcos Alonso to stop taking the knee before games
- Roy Keane urges Manchester United to sign Declan Rice from West Ham United
- Manchester United planning to put seven players on transfer list
- Pundit claims Harry Kane has been affected by transfer talk – he has no one to blame but himself