Former Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor has suggested that Southampton striker Danny Ings would suit Arsenal more than Tottenham.
“Does he want to move now and play second choice to Harry Kane at Spurs? That could cost him a place at the Euros,” Agbonlahor told TalkSport.
“For me, I’d stay where I am and try and come to an agreement with Southampton.
“He would suit Arsenal at the moment. You look at [Alexandre] Lacazette, and he’s come into some decent form, but you put Ings into that Arsenal team at the moment, and he would definitely score goals.”
The 28-year-old has been in excellent form for the Saints since joining them after four years with Liverpool in 2019. He has scored 29 Premier League goals for the club in just 51 games. That form led to him getting an England recall last year.
There is little doubt that Ings is now among the elite English forwards, and he may feel that he has one more big move left in his career.
Whilst Ralph Hasenhuttl will be keen to keep Ings at St Mary’s, the striker’s contract will expire in the summer of 2022, meaning that Southampton will look to sell him next summer if he opts not to sign an extension.
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups